Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sociology Question of the Day # 3

Most people view themselves and other people as members of different groups. Most people have a primary group (a group of people who they most closely associate themselves with) one or more secondary groups (groups who they identify with, but who are not their primary group) and a reference group (a group who they look at as the best example of who they would like to be).

What are your primary, secondary and reference groups and what impact do they have on your life, beliefs and behaviors?

55 comments:

JMcDonald said...

My primary group is the kids at Mass Hopital School. They are like me in many different ways, but also give me new prespectives on situations that nobody else could give me. My secondary group is the kids at Canto High. I see them every day, they put me in a good mood, and help me throughout the day and schoolyear, treating me as if I didn't have a wheelchair. my reference group is the staff at middleboro high and the few people I keep in touch with. Even though I don'y see them often, I know they can help me when I need them.

The KW said...

My primary group is the group of ppl I'd primarily choose to chill wit. the secondary would probabyly be another group that chills near my group wich makes us combine groups from time to time. The third group is just a bunch of random ppl i might have class wit or somethin if nobody else is in my class.
Out of school my primary would either be my immediate family or the ppl i hang wit around my block. Secondary would be family i see every now and then or a group from another block or something. i dont even know who would be in a third group but probably ppl i just dont talk to unless theres nobody else to.
I dont think we would like to admit it but im sure that the ppl we hang wit have some kinda influence on what we do or where we go when the group is together.

kshea said...

My primary friends are my best friends who i can tell anything to and be most comfortale with and hangout outside of school. My Secondary friends are the people i talk to but dont tell my secretive thoughts to but are still close to me and can chill outside of school. And reference group of friends are the friends i only see in the hallway and only really say hi to. All these have impacted me because of the group of friends with right now i dont think i wouldnt be the same person i am today if i didnt have primary group of friends in my life.

DMenard said...

my primary group is my friends I hang out w/ in school because we all share the same view points and beliefs. My secondary group is family beacause they are always there when needed.

Anonymous said...

My primary group is my group of closest friends. I have two secondary groups. One group i am friendly with and talk to inside school and the other one i hang out with outside school. I dont really have a reference group but if I had to choose one I would say that my primary group is my reference group because I wouldnt mind being like my really close friends. They are always there for me and I can relate to them more then my secondary groups. This has an impact on my life because its good for me to talk to different people but at the same time I have one particular group that I can be really close to and talk about things that I wouldnt necessarily talk about with the other people.

kgilmore said...

My primary group is my best friends at school. My secondary group is my group of friends who i associate with at school and the group of people i hang out with outside of school.I dont have a reference group because there isn't a group i really want to be like besides my primary group.
My primary group has a big impact on my life because i spend most of my time with them. And I can be my self around them more then anyone else so it affects my behaviors. Since I have two main secondary groups it impacts me alot because somtimes u have to make a choice of who to hang out with and who to be closer with.It impacts my behavior because since theyre so different my behavior is differently because theres ceriain things u can do with one but not the other

Mr. Paulson said...

just to clarify - your reference group should be people who you WANT to be like

jessica said...

welll.... my first group would be my fam and joey and my church ppl... then it would be people i know in school..like close friends then it would be people i talk to or associate with

Anonymous said...

my first group would be my family and friends....my friends who i chill with alot

Anonymous said...

my reference group is to be myself, i dont want to be like anyone

jessica said...

well i dont think anyone would be like "oh i wanna be tht person" quoted by andrea. So i dont think it is very common for someone to have a reference

AMarshall3791 said...

my primary group are my friends that i hang out with most and the ones I am closest with. my secondary group are people that i see less often as my primary group but are still friends with them. I dont really have a reference group because im happy with who i am and i dont look at other people to define myself.

jessica said...

i pretty much can talk to anyone in my primary group

Anonymous said...

yeah...jess...i agree with you

JBacker said...

My primary group and my reference group are the same. They are my friends, generally the people I hangout with on a regular basis.

My secondary group consists of most of the kids in our grade. I can find ways to identify with almost everyone.

I don't feel that these groups make any significant impact on my beliefs or behaviors. I chose to be part of these groups based on my views; I didn't change myself to be a part of them.

Nick Jones said...

My primary group would most likely be athiests with moderate political views. My secondary group would be my friends, because although I don't necessarily agree with them politically or religiously, we share many interests. I can't quite think of a reference group for myself, because I don't generally look at a group of people and say to myself, "I want to be like them".

Anonymous said...

My primary group is the people I am with the most,I am with them in school and out of school. My secondary groups are the people I am with in school,and sometimes with out of school. I dont have refrence group theres no one that I want to be like, I just want to be myself.

val said...

i feel like my primary group of friends are the ones that actually know me, and then ppl i tend to hang around with from day to day like close friends, best friends & family, and boyfriend, the secondary group, are people i associate with and talk too, and hang with from time to time, and then the reference group are ppl i see around occasionally but i wouldnt consider this group, people i really know or talk to, hang out with .... ect....

Bbazne said...

My primary group of friends are kids i see everyday, secondary are mutal friends. I have no real changes in or behavior cause im just me

val said...

i truely dont feel as though i look at ne one and say that i want to be like them..???


im happy being myself!!!

Mr. Paulson said...

let me clarify reference groups again - if you look up to any type of person as a role model, they are your reference group, it's not about trying to "be someone you are not", it is about learning from others

NonyeO said...

My primary group are my closest friends,my reference group are people who I talk to but are not as close to my reference would be my associates

khiggs said...

My primary group is the people who I talk to the most and I feel like I can relate to them the most. It includes four girls and one boy. My secondary group is people I know and can talk to but just don't feel comfortable around. I would like to become better friends with the people in the secondary group but some how it never works out.
When I was younger like 10, the groups that I kind of looked up to was my mom and her friends and the Sisterhood of the traveling pants. I looked up to these groups because they were just so close knit and were always there for each other. I just wanted to have friends and be a friend like them.

Anonymous said...

my primary group is my family and my secondary group would be my friends

jeffrey a said...

i dont have friends

Ryan Squirrtle Sullivan said...

My primary group are the people I actually like and hang around with.

My secondary group are the people I tolerate like my family.

And I dont have a reference group, because I am happy with who I am.

~val inspired

jeffrey a said...

my primary group consists of multiple groups of people. there are alot of people who i hang out wih on a regular basis.

I do not have a secondary group of friends i think that if ur my friend ur in the primary group.

The people in my primary group are also the people who i look up to. i choose friends who i look up to.

aqualls said...

My primary group is the SPA GIRLS!! and the DREAM TEAM!! <3 i talk to them about everything tell them everything!! and love them to death. my secondary group...w ell i dont have one, and my refrence group is no one. the spa and dream team is my only friends and i wouldnt hav it any other way. p.s dream team consists of annie nguyen, ruta mikelenas myself
The SPA!! is annie ali and me (TRIPLE A) hey girl hey!!

vtracey13 said...

My primary group would be the people that I have a strong connection with such as close family members and friends. My secondary group would branch off of the primary for the most part, other people that I know and like but if they were not a part of my life, I would be ok. My primary group is a big part of my life and if they were suddenly gone, my entire life style would change drastically, probably for the worst. The last group would be anyone I do not have a good connectoin with.

MakailaC said...

My primary group includes some kids that I go to school with, but mainly people outside of school. I usually spend alot of time with them and we all like spending time together. My secondary group would probably include mostly people that I only talk to in school or people that I know through my close friends. I'm not really sure if I have a reference group, but I guess I am most like my primary group of freinds, but I wouldn't want to change myself to be more like them, or anyone else.

aqualls said...

ok wait I lied maybe my refrence group is Gossip Girls cuz they are my idols... i need to be like them (well fashion wise anyways)

haileyr said...

my primary group would be my really close friends, the ones that i can count on and tell anything to. my secondary group would be the people that i talk to, hangout with and that i think are fun to be around, but i dont necessarily tell them everything. im not too sure who would be my reference group, but i guess my family who has influenced me and taught me from the beginning what was right and wrong, and some tv shows could be considered a reference group too.

jeffrey a said...

yes

Annie Nguyen said...

My primary group influence my life in many ways and I influence their's as well. The influences vary from simple stuff; to telling her not to wear those ugly cheetah ugg boots or giving her advice for sticky situations! My primary group influence my life because we talk about everything; I will go to them when i have a problem and look for advice. My secondary group of friends are also important to me but I probably wouldn't go to them for advice and tell them personal stuff. My reference group are people who are fashionable, smart, looking to better themselves. One Tree Hill!

Anonymous said...

My primary group is my family because you're family is with you your whole life while you might break away from your friends as you age. My secondary is my friends.

Liandra P said...

My primary group would be my best friends. My best friends are the people who I choose to be with. They are the most like me, and I am the most like them. No matter what we do with each other, we always have a good time. When we
are not spending time together, we still always know what each other are doing. We keep up with each other's lives no matter what how different they come to be.

My secondary groups would be both my volleyball and basketball teams. Although I do not hang out with all the girls who I play with normally, the bond of loving the same sport is what brings us all together. We spend so much time practicing, and playing games, that it is impossible to not become friends during that time. During the season, we are associated with each other- wearing the same jackets and appearing in the same news articles. However, once the seasons over, so aren't most the friendships and we move on to our best friends again.

My reference group would be my older sister Lauren. Lauren has qualities that I only wished I had. Lauren is my complete opposite. She is quiet, reserved, but respected. She doesn't need to cause a scene to get attention, yet everyone loves who she is anyways. She does extremely well in school, and was at the top of her class. She gives her best in everything from school and sports. Also, she never complains ever- she always is happy.

Anonymous said...

My primary group is my family.
my secondary groups are sports teams and friends.

Anonymous said...

my primary group consists of my closest friends. the ones that i hang out with on a daily basis outside of school. they are the ones i feel most comfortable with if i was to chill alone with them. my secondary group consists of the people i see on the weekends when i am with my primary groups. i would most likely not spend time alone with them or talk about personal things with them. but when i am with them on the weekends we still have fun. my reference group consists mainly of my primary group. the people that i am most closely associated with and get along with the best are also the people i look up to the most. they provide my inspiration and influence me greatly, they give me insightful ideas, and they help me through problems in my life.

Anonymous said...

my primary reference group is my group of friends. although we are all different, we can agree on most things. my second reference group is my family. they have had a huge influence on me and i know i can trust them with anything

Anonymous said...

My primary group of friends is the group of people i am always with. it isnt a large group for it is only the people i trust with my life. people like my sister, a childhood best friend, friends who know everything about me, ect. My secondary group of friends are friends i know can always cheer me up and keep me smiling. They are friends that help me have a good time. They are people i trust but only with small things where if they got out it wouldnt be the end of the world.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin Bosl said...

my two primary groups i would have to say are high school student and my religion, which often times can conflict with each other.

Ali Z. said...

my primary group would have to be the spa! love those chicas<33 we can tell eachother anything and everything. we can give eachother advice both good and bad and know we always have good intentions.

my secondary group would be my friends outside the spa. even though im not as close to these people they still play important role in my life.

my reference group is a combination of my friends and family.

Anonymous said...

my refrence group is anyone who works hard in lie to get where they are

Mr. Paulson said...

scott, you generally want to know your primary group...that sounds more like your reference group

Mr. Paulson said...

nevermind...

openbook said...

My primary group are the people that are the closest to me, they may not be all in the same group in school, but they're the ones i turn to in my hardest and happiest times. My secondary group are the people who i can just hang out with, like at school or just to have a fun time. I don't really share anything extremely personal with them. My reference group is my family and my church family.

jbonica said...

My primary group would be my best friends. My best friends are chosen by me, and are in constant contact daily.

My secondary groups would be my co-workers. We spend time working together toward a common goal and are often in contact for fill-ins.

My reference group would be my siblings. Each of us are different and the same, there are overlapping qualities and individual characteristics.

Anonymous said...

My primary group is my group of friends that I hang out with and talk to. My secondary groups are people that I see in my classes that I talk to occasionally but don't spend time with outside of class. A reference group is probably my own group of friends. I chose them because I respect them and by being around each other we aquire each other's personality traits.

Dank said...

My primary group is my friends at Canton High. I hang out with them everyday. My secondary group is my co workers. I see them often and most of them are like me, but I am not "friends" with them. My reference group is my parents and extended family.

spotts4 said...

My primary group would be my friends who i hang out with. My secondary groups would be the Track and Field Team, Curry Gym, and co-workers. These would be my secondary groups because
My refrence group would be my family.

BBrown said...

My primary group would be my close friends. My secondary group are my teammates. My reference group is my family and distant relatives.

ctam said...

The people I view as my primary group are my closest friends at school. These are the people who I can rely on when I need help or a good laugh. These are the people who I can trust the most. My secondary group would be friends at school that I see once in awhile. Those are the people who I'll talk to once every three weeks? These are the people I rarely see.My reference group is my family. My parents have impacted my life.

openbook said...

I didn't answer the second part of the question. but i really feel like my primary and refrence groups have a major impact on my life. They really help to define who i am as a person. If you think about it, looking at a person's refrence group can say a lot about them, because they are the best example of who they want to be.

Anonymous said...

My primary group would be my close friends and the people whom I talk to all the time and trust.

My secondary group would be my mutual friends. I don't tell them everything that is going on in my life, but I let them know what I feel is important enough so that they aren't left out.

My reference group would most likely be my family; specifically my mom. People aren't perfect, but I have a great deal of admiration for my mom. I don't want to be exactly like her, but I definately look up to her most. Another reference group would be God. I am not trying to go all preacher on anyone nor force my beliefs on others, but I think in my mind that He would be the best example of whom I look up to.