Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sociology Question of the Day # 1

What three nouns that you would you choose to identify who you are? Which of those three nouns describe aspects of your identity which are "not chosen and unchangeable" (ascribed status), that is, you did not choose to be that and you can't choose to become something different. Which of those three words describe aspects of your identity which are "chosen and changeable" (achieved status), that is, you choose to be that way and you can, if you want to, change that.

57 comments:

NonyeO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
val said...

i feel as though the three words that best describe my identity are, caring, forgiving, and a respectful person. I feel like all of these adjectives that describe me are unchangable because i couldnt change any one of them if i wanted to, because that is just who i am... and i feel that i will always have those qualities

Anonymous said...

unique,mysterious,open minded are the three words that describe me!

Mr. Paulson said...

how about this - what are three nouns that describe you...we all seem to be coming up with adjectives, but I think we are probably missing important aspects of our identities, so let's try some nouns too - I am a __________, a __________ and a _____________

Anonymous said...

Three nouns that describe me would be a scorpio,an fast learner,and a care taker.

khiggs said...

There is only one word that describe my identity which are "not chosen and unchangeable" and that it is tall.
Three words that describe my identity which are "chosen and changeable" are: moody, honest and a little crazy.
I picked these words because they best describe who i am.

Anonymous said...

Three words that describe aspects of my identity would be multiracial,understanding,and forgiving. Multireacial;I cant change my race, which is Cape Verdean and Puerto Rican, I didnt choose to be this but it is a relly big part of my life, its what ,makes me, me. I love it and wouldnt change it for the world.Understanding; I just feel that I am a very undertstandig person. Forgiving; I am always willing to forgive; not neccearily forget though.

Anonymous said...

The three words that I would choose to identify myself with are laughter, comprehensive, and social.

I can't change my laughter. This is something that has always been apart of me, and it is so very distict that people already know who it is without looking first.

If I wanted to, I could change being comprehensive and social. I could be narrow-minded and look at things through one mind set, and I could also isolate myself from people and keep to myself.

NonyeO said...

The three words that describe me are an independent,quiet,hardworker.Words that are changeable about me are confidence,emotions and happiness.

Nick Jones said...

I feel picking three words to describe any one thing as complex as a human being is too limiting to do.

Anonymous said...

Three words that describe me are:
caring, happy,and outgoing

DMenard said...

three words that describe me the best are respectful,unpredictable, and confident.

i cant not change being unpredictable because not even i know what the next thing im going to do that is just me.

i chose to be respectful and i wanted to i could be negative about everything and i could be very derespectful

jessica said...

ok well thre words that are i guess changeable are outgoing, talkative, and i cant think of another one

AMarshall3791 said...

Three words to describe myself are bold, open, and happy. I'm not afraid to speak whats on my mind and i'm not afraid to be open with people. When someone asks me something about myself, i'm not hesitant to be honest. I am also very happy with who i am and with life all together.

Mr. Paulson said...

well Nick, i am not suggesting you are only those three things, but for the sake of argument what three things about you are crucial to understanding who you are...maybe it's 100 things, but we don't have time for 100

The KW said...

a respecting person. U might see ppl walking down the hall way screaming and yea i might do it too but not if a teacher or deed was standin next to me.

Impulsive. I react way before i think although im trying to give things more thought these days cuz a black man needs it!

Determined. I just wont give up. i might be confusing this wit bein stubborn but who cares its the same thing in defferent situations. Ask anyone, if im given a riddle, or a cool project, or a problem to solve, no matter how long it takes im finding that solution. If i dont, it will be ringing in my head all day.

Mr. Paulson said...

how about this - what are three nouns that describe you...we all seem to be coming up with adjectives, but I think we are probably missing important aspects of our identities, so let's try some nouns too - I am a __________, a __________ and a _____________

Bbazne said...

my three words are mellow,funny and sarcastic

Anonymous said...

there are many different words to describe me and many of them are interchangeable.

kshea said...

The three words i think that would describe me are forgiving, honest, and a caring person.

Anonymous said...

I guess three words that I can use to describe myself are shy, understanding, and hopeful. I think that my shyness is unchangable for me because I have grown up being shy and I think that this is just a characteristic that I am always going to have. I could try and change it if I really wanted to but it would be really challenging. I try to be as understandable as I can. If I am in a fight with someone I will try and put myself in their shoes and see it from their side but even though I do this it doesnt mean that I always agree with them. I am also hopeful because I try and see that everything will have an upside. Its better to be positive then negative.

The KW said...

OO and im a pretty cheerful person. They say the more you frown the shorter your life will be. "Stay wit a smile, last for a while."

kgilmore said...

i think that the words that describe me are forgivivng,laid back, and sympathetic and i dont think i could chnage them because thats how ive always been

openbook said...

Three nouns that describe me are: a Christian, a woman, and an American. The only things that arn't changeable are being an American and a woman. But i don't see not being a Christian as a possibility either.

Anonymous said...

Three nounds to describe me are fun, pessimism, and music.

jbonica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Whoops I forgot the second part of the question. I cant change that I love music. I can, however, change into a boring person someday and maybe become optimistic.

jbonica said...

Demographically I am an Italian-American, a Catholic, and an individual male.

Dank said...

I am an American, a republican, and I am a man. Only my political views could be changed. The other two traits are god given and I can not, nor do I want to, change them.

openbook said...

margee, i feel like ur love of music can change in certain circumstances.

Mr. Paulson said...

Amber brings up an interesting question. Is religion an ascribed or an achieved status?

Anonymous said...

A person chooses their own religion but it is influenced greatly by their parents and the country in which they grew up.

jbonica said...

freedom of religion is granted to everyone; that is not to say there are no ancestric influences that help one decide their religous beliefs, but it is ultimately up to the individual.

spotts4 said...

I would say I am a Yankee Fan, a Man, and a hard worker. I feel the only nouns that could be changed are beign a hard worker and possibley beign a Yankees fan.

BBrown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
openbook said...

I think that it is a choice to begin with. Like to decide what you believe, but then after that, it depends how "deeply" so to speak, you believe. Those who really believe in their religion will not want to change it.

jeffrey a said...

i a man, a techie and a fasion master

ctam said...

Three words that would describe aspects of my identity would be hardworker, Asian, and a shy person.An ascribed status that I can't change is being Asian. I was born as an Asian, and I can't change it in any way possible. Being a hardworker and being shy are two characteristics I choose for myself. By being a hardworker,I motivate myself in whatever I do. Being shy is not nessarily a good thing, but I choose to be that when I meet new people.

Mr. Paulson said...

bobby brings up an interesting question, can he become "not an American"?

jeffrey a said...

yes. if he becomes a member of another society that is not american he can no longer call himself an american.

aqualls said...

three words to describe me would be... confusing, hilarious, hotness!! im confusing because not many people understand my way of life. I'm hilarious because my friends and I are always cracking up because of the things I do, and I'm hotness because well just look at me! as for nouns I am a fire ball cuz im hotness I am Asian because thats my culture and I am Ashley Qualls because shes great.

Ryan Squirrtle Sullivan said...

Excuse me?

Mr. Paulson said...

but what if he is viewed by people in that society as American, than his status will not have changed

Ryan Squirrtle Sullivan said...

Three nouns that describe me are
Imagination, Money, I am Beowolf.

My imagination is a big part of my life. My random jokes and convetrsations pretty much explain that.

I love money, by owing my own business I love to make money, I strive for it.

haileyr said...

three nouns that would describe me would be a woman, an only sister and daughter. being a woman would never change, but if my parents decide to have more children and it happens to be a girl i would no longer be a the only sister and daughter.

Annie Nguyen said...

Asian, friendly, and stylin! Being asian is an ascribed status, that i'm proud of! Being friendly and stylin are achieved status. I choose what I wear and represent!! I also try to be social and friendly to people!

Anonymous said...

I am a man ,an athlete , and a hard worker

Liandra P said...

Three nouns to describe me are an Athlete, Italian, and Air Head.

I am looked at as an athlete because of first my height. I am taller then most girls so it just automatically assumed that I have to play sports, so it is somewhat a ascribed status. But overall, it is me who choose to play sports. As much as I love to play, I can stop whenever I want.

I am Italian. I have some of the features-darker hair and what not. My personality is very italian. I am very loud, and outgoing, and love to eat. Also my last name- pellegrini- is very italian. This is an ascribed status. I can't change my last name, my looks, or blood, so no matter what I will be italian.

I also consider myself an air head just because most of my classmates would be the first to tell me how dumb i am! This is changeable. All i have to do is watch what i say, and not blurt things out! But i don't care what people think, so i do it anyways, and it's funny so whateverrr

vtracey13 said...

Nouns that describe me would be handhug, spaz, and creative. I love handhugs cause they spread the love. I am definatly a spaz and enjoying playing it up cause its makes everyone smile. I enjoy being creative, it's just who I am.

Anonymous said...

I am comedy, fitness, determination

Anonymous said...

nouns that i can change are: i am a lacrosse player, a student, and

nouns that i can't change are: irish

Anonymous said...

i am a male. although i am extremely content with this, i did not choose it. being a male is something i cannot change, nor would i want too. it is just how i was born. it is my ascribed status.
i am also a musician. i have chosen this path. i have made music a big part of my life and play on a daily basis. if i wanted to i could stop playing music, but i enjoy it greatly and would never want too. being a musician is my achieved status.
lastly, i am a tepper. i am crazy. sadly this is an ascribed status :(

Mr. Paulson said...

is maleness/femaleness unchangeable?

Ali Z. said...

one of my ascribed status is being greek. my nationality and religion is unchangeable. religion for me was determined for a very young age when i was baptised as a greek orthodox. nationality is obviously unchangeable because it is how i was born,it is who i am.

Anonymous said...

I am an artist. I enjoying drawing and painting. this is something i have chosen, i have grown to enjoy. I am also a christian this is both and ascribed status and achieved status. It is both somthing i was born into and something i believe in. i am music. i greatly enjoy listening to music. this is a achieved status.

Anonymous said...

being a male is an ascribed status, i cant change it nor would i want to. athlete and hard worker, are achieved status. i choose to be those things

Mr. Paulson said...

Some really good ideas here, the post of the day from the G block class goes to Liandra though, who really put alot of thought into her three nouns. Nice job Liandra!

"Three nouns to describe me are an Athlete, Italian, and Air Head.

I am looked at as an athlete because of first my height. I am taller then most girls so it just automatically assumed that I have to play sports, so it is somewhat a ascribed status. But overall, it is me who choose to play sports. As much as I love to play, I can stop whenever I want.

I am Italian. I have some of the features-darker hair and what not. My personality is very italian. I am very loud, and outgoing, and love to eat. Also my last name- pellegrini- is very italian. This is an ascribed status. I can't change my last name, my looks, or blood, so no matter what I will be italian.

I also consider myself an air head just because most of my classmates would be the first to tell me how dumb i am! This is changeable. All i have to do is watch what i say, and not blurt things out! But i don't care what people think, so i do it anyways, and it's funny so whateverrr"