Okay so i was thinking about using Henry VIII as an example for why Machiavelli's ideas are a negative thing. Is there any reason that I shouldn't? Because I'm hesitating thinking that there is. I'm not really sure that he fits the category for that type of leadership, and I don't think that what he was doing was for the country's benefits, but he did certainly go above the law and did what he wished. I don't know, I'm kind of stuck. Help please?
Henry VIII was probably more in it for himself as far as his going above or beyond the law is concerned, though he probably would have said he was doing what was best for his country.
Gina, I am not sure I understand your outline, do you have any specific examples lined up?
Lukesha, the Medici's certainly would have argued that they were good for Florence, but like most such opinions, it's debatable. What does "good for Florence" mean?
the Patriot Act actually changed the law though so that the government could do those things. Machiavelli would argue that a leader should be allowed to restrict citizens' freedoms without the support of the law if need be.
14 comments:
Okay so i was thinking about using Henry VIII as an example for why Machiavelli's ideas are a negative thing. Is there any reason that I shouldn't? Because I'm hesitating thinking that there is. I'm not really sure that he fits the category for that type of leadership, and I don't think that what he was doing was for the country's benefits, but he did certainly go above the law and did what he wished. I don't know, I'm kind of stuck. Help please?
Mr. Paulson
Im sorta having trouble in how to go about writing my paper
is this a good outline?
1. Thesis:
broad statement(morality)
link in to mach.
my opinion
2. dictaorship -> democracy
->difference
3. Link it back to mach.
4. My thoughts.
5. Conclusion
?
Was the Medici family's infulence on Florence good or bad?
Henry VIII was probably more in it for himself as far as his going above or beyond the law is concerned, though he probably would have said he was doing what was best for his country.
Gina, I am not sure I understand your outline, do you have any specific examples lined up?
Lukesha, the Medici's certainly would have argued that they were good for Florence, but like most such opinions, it's debatable. What does "good for Florence" mean?
i was thinkg of using Mussolini and hitler as an example of when and where to draw the line... is that a good example??
how do we send our rubris with our paper?
all examples are about how you use them, not who you use
don't worry about rubrics if you are e-mailing
The following people received extra credit for handing in their paper early (my school e-mail is jammed, so i can't respond to people's e-mail)
Friday +5
Zarina
Kelsey C.
Monday +4
Jaclyn
Sarah
Eddie
Jen G
Patricia
Matt K
Ericka
Wednesday +3
Kelsie A.
Katy
Mitchell
Mikole
Lukesha
Jess W.
is it ok if i use the patriot act as an example ?
the Patriot Act actually changed the law though so that the government could do those things. Machiavelli would argue that a leader should be allowed to restrict citizens' freedoms without the support of the law if need be.
I have a quick question, would it be okay if i used more than one leader?
So we are picking examples that have happened before, not making them up?
ok thanks
hi
Post a Comment